Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Why I'm not cancelling my G 1XMkII preorder just yet
6 months ago

For the heck of it (I'm still hibernating) I spent a little time reviewing long ago posts concerning the G1X and what we wanted to see in the G2X. I thought I'd list a few longed for improvements and rate the G 1X Mk II based on whether those recommendations/requests from long ago were fulfilled. I will give maximum 1 point for degree of fulfillment, along with a few personal comments of course. Your opinions may differ.

1. Make it smaller. Well, they did - a bit, but considering the increased size of the new lens it's no small feat. Some wanted pocketable which isn't realistic in my view. Well - it is smaller so let's say 1 point awarded here.

2. AF too slow, with too much hunting. Well, I never really thought it was too slow (I'm not into action shots) just slower than some others and I think most of the hunting and frustration was from people trying to focus to close to the subject. But, the Mark II apparently focuses quite a bit faster and quite a bit closer. 1 point awarded.

3. Need a wider - longer - faster lens. Well, you got that, but some think it also needs to be sharp in corners throughout its considerable range. I think if there were a plethora of fixed lens cameras with 24-120mm f2.0 zoom lenses that were always sharp corner to corner at every aperture and focal length we could reasonably expect the Mark II to do so as well..... Ummm I'm waiting here. Well how about separate lenses then, in a comparable price range of course. Well lets see, for about the same total price the Panasonic GM1 comes with a 24-64mm f3.5-5.6 equivalent lens. Oops, it's a great little camera and lens but the lens has nowhere near the range and is much slower than the Mark II and really it's not as sharp in the corners as it is in the center. Neither is my Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 (70-200 equiv) which is truly a wonderful lens which is very sharp at f4.0 but like most lenses falls off a bit when out of the sweet spot. True, not a comparable FL but I did pay $1000.00 for a refurbished unit, no body included. I haven't yet seen enough examples from the Mark II to rule it out based on lens performance so since it is wider - longer - faster I give another 1.

4. The OVF. Some couldn't do without it, some (like me) would rather it wasn't implemented at all if implemented so poorly. Some wanted a built in EVF. Hard to see how Canon could possibly win on this one. I personally am glad I don't have to pay extra for an EVF if I don't want it but, there are certainly enough disgruntled views concerning this so at best I give it .33 points.

5. Articulating LCD. Some people wanted it to be fixed - no articulation, mostly because it added size. Personally, I didn't like using it flipped to the side unless I was shooting flowers etc.. low to the ground and in portrait mode. It was great for that! Probably about .5% of my total shots. Otherwise I only articulated it too protect the screen when not in use. I'll miss that but I'm hoping the new one is Gorilla glass or some such so I don't have to worry about it. Still, others can't live without it so at best I'll give it a .33 since its only an improvement for some. In yet another no win situation for Canon.

6. New sensor. Boooooooo! Doesn't appear like much changed there. I would have liked more dynamic range for one thing. I do not bemoan the loss of megapixels however. I can't help but look at the pictures from my S400 - about ten years old now. Small sensor, 4 megapixels, beautiful images. No noise, wonderful dynamic range. In comparison, the incessant clamor for more megapixels crammed onto smaller sensors just doesn't seem to be panning out in the long haul, not yet anyway. Sometimes we get what we ask for whether it works better or not. Maybe Digic 6 will help out here. .33

Conclusion: 4 points out of 6. So I guess I won't be cancelling my pre-order just yet.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow