Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?
Sony FE 70-200/4 - First Impressions... and I'm not that impressed :-(
8 months ago

OK so today I receive the above lens from Japan, hot off the press.

First the good:

========

- AF is snappy and fast. Very fast on the A7r in good light, exceptionally fast on the A6000.

- OSS is good, on par with Canon's latest IS

- Between 100-150mm, this lens is very sharp in the center - 135 is probably the sweat spot.

- Between 100-150mm, the lens is sharp in the corners stopped down to f8. Very acceptable.

Now the OK:

========

At 200mm. Its sharp in the centre, and seems acceptable in the corners stopped down. This is for landscape shots, and i am testing at infinity. For close ups of people, wildlife, where you are throwing the background out of focus, this is a non-issue, as its sharp in the centre, and it will be excellent.

Wide open, the lens is acceptable sharp for a zoom, but apart from the 135mm area, not blowing me away. First impressions its not quite Canon L sharp.

Now the bad news

===========

This lens shows shutter shock issues, handheld, with OSS on, between 1/100 - 1/200 at 200mm. It is the only case of shutter shock I have seen on the A7r with native lenses. I have tried it with the battery grip on and off and it makes no difference. I can hand hold my Canon 70-300L plus metabones at these focal lengths with IS on and have no problem. It occurs in every shot taken at 200mm between these shutterspeeds.

My copy is decentred on the top right corner. It looks as if Sony stuffed up there QC again, and let the first batch go out wonky. I will be returning this lens due to this issue. This is not from pixel peeping either, you can see the soft corner at 25% when the photo nearly fills my 30" monitor.

What is funny is that on the A6000, which crops the corners off, the bottom left corner is weakest - so there may be some funky field curvature going on. More bullseye issues?

Conclusion

=========

This is from about an hours use, and I would try another copy to see if I have a duff one in more ways than just the decentring (my first 24-70/4 FE was duff too and my second copy was excellent) for use on the A6000. I would not recommend this lens for the A7r. The A7 may be fine, but I don't own that camera.

I will be returning this lens

-- hide signature --
 Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow