Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Blownvette
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?
Simple (50mm lens) Question for Nikon users
4 months ago

Note: I'm a Canon shooter, so without having much knowledge of Nikon I wanted to ask those of you that know.

A friend of mine is buying his first kit lens upgrade and asked my advice. He shoots a Nikon entry level (I'm unsure of the model) crop DSLR. About 1 year old model if that makes any difference. For his first good quality lens I recommended the 50mm 1.8 as Nikon (like Canon) makes a great inexpensive "Bang for the buck lens".

So here is my question. When I search Nikon Lenses to recommend it is pulling up (2) models the D and the G. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm_f_1.8D_Autofocus_Lens_vs_Nikon_AF-S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1.8G_Lens/BHitems/247091-USA_766516-USA

In a nutshell, what is the difference?  Is the "G" just a newer version?  The guy is an amateur shooter so looking to spend $130-$200...in the price range of both of these lenses.  He also wants to buy new.

Thanks,

Rick

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow