Best settings for theatre / recital shots?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
persephone88
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Best settings for theatre / recital shots?
9 months ago

I have a Lumix FZ150, and am not an experienced photographer. I take a lot of indoor shots of my kids' dance recitals and plays. Often I am trying to shoot kids who are moving on a brightly lit stage in a darkened theatre, without the use of a flash.

I have been using the High Sensitivity scene mode, but I still get some blur and the pictures often pretty grainy and with color bleed. I usually shoot in JPG mode.

Would it help to shoot in RAW to get clearer detail, or will that not improve much since the kids are moving so much?

I am typically a good 10 - 15 feet away shooting. I'd like to reduce the graininess of the photos, but shooting at lower speeds tends to make the pictures blurry. I have movement, distance and lighting against me trying to shoot, but movement seems to be the biggest problem. The sports setting often blurs worse than the high sensitivity one, possibly due to the lighting (dark theatre / lit stage).

Any suggestions on what settings I can use to improve my pictures? Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow