Best m4/3 second lens for trip to European cities?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Best all-rounder is definitely the 12-40 f/2.8. But you may want even wider...
In reply to krugman, 5 months ago

krugman wrote:

Paul De Bra wrote:

I made a short (conference) trip to Rome last year. I used exposureplot to find out which focal lengths I used a lot. The lenses I had with me at the time were the 9-18 (used the most by far), the 20mm f/1.7 (used for over 100 pictures indoors), the 12-50 (not used a lot) and the 75-300 (used very rarely).

I would definitely not go on any tourist trip to cities without my 9-18 because you need wide so often. But for indoor low light I did use the 20mm a lot because it was my fastest lens. Since getting the 12-40 f/2.8 I don't think I would use the 20mm often because I don't like changing lenses any more than strictly necessary.

focal lengths used in Rome.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Thank you for sharing your experience, that is very helpful. I am of course surprised that you shot such a large proportion of very wide angle images, wider than say 35mm effectively. I would never have thought of the 9-18, very interesting. Also important to see that you used hte 20mm so often because it is fast.

The 12-40 is at the upper limit of what I want to spend but I could get it. I have seen it in a camera store on the EM10 and it looks huge. I am a bit concerned about the weight, on the EM10 it would be 27 ounces (14 fo the body and 13 for the lens) and would rival the weight of say a Fuji XT1 with 18-55 and it is getting into the entry level DSLR range of weight. I am also concerned that it looks so impressive that it would be obtrusive.

So, what has been your experience using the 12-40mm? Has the weight bothered you or did you get used to it?

Did you find it obtrusive or is that just my own reaction and not that of bystanders who saw you use the camera?

Your graph is impressive. Can you tell me what "exposureplot" is and where I can find it? I shoot JPEGs and use iPhoto so if it is part of Aperture or Lightroom I won't be able to use it I suppose, but if it is a freestanding program I could get it, it would be very revealing about the focal lengths I actually use.

Thanks once more for your post,

Krugman

I've also been surprised to find how much I use the 9-18 when I'm traveling.  It is an excellent walk around lens. However, if you went that route, I don't think it would make sense to also get the 12-40, since you want to limit the number of lenses you carry.  In addition to your 60, I would opt for the 9-18 and either the 17 or 20 for low light situations.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow