2/3/5 axis IBIS and Stops advantage

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,066Gear list
Like?
Re: 2/3/5 axis IBIS and Stops advantage
In reply to superstar905, 9 months ago

superstar905 wrote:

I currently have an EPL5 and have been wondering if the 3 axis EM10 or 5 axis EM5 would give me a better f-stop advantage than my 2 axis EPL5 with non stabilized lenses?

Yes. There's a pretty significant difference between the new IBIS available on the OM-Ds & E-P5 and the old one. The difference between the 3-axis version of the E-M10 and the 5-axis version is of less importance. The two axes (types of camera shake) lost between the 5- and 3-axis versions (vertical and horizontal shift) are primarily of importance in "macro" shooting. In other cases, they don't matter much.

I like the 12-40 for convenience but at 2.8 it may not be good enough for indoor family photo's (not to mention its size is prohibitive, but thats a different subject) unless the different levels of stabilization can make up the difference. Comparing to my 12 f2 and 45 f1.8 as a reference point. If I could get that in one lens then it might be worth ditching those primes in favour of the 12-40.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow