Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZinMe
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
D800- my experience
6 months ago

I've been trying to decide between a D7100 and D800e as an upgrade for my D300.  This weekend, I rented a D800 with grip and shot a baseball game and lacrosse game.   I want a general purpose camera- while I shoot 50% sports, I want something that I can use for people and landscapes.  (I have a Fuji XE-1 for travel.)

I shot it with my 300mm f2.8 VR1, and switched mostly between 1.2x and 1.5x crop.  Used a monopod.  I AF fine-tuned before I shot.  Used apertures between f2.8 and f4 (mostly at f3.2 however.)  Shutter speeds were between 1/3200 and 1/8000th.   I switched between AF-C d9 and d21.  AF lock on "3."   Both games were on turf and it was 11am - 2pm, so I was fighting the heat reflection which made sharpness challenging.  Here are my observations:

• Shadow areas on white uniforms were very blue (I reduced blue saturation to -18 in LR5 to minimize it.)
  • Focus was inconsistent.  In come cases, resolution/sharpness was fantastic, in other cases it just missed focus, even using center for stationary objects that were relatively close (ex. 40ft) where I could frame, shoot and stabilize methodically.  I would say ~35-40% of my shots were focused well enough.  My D300 probably gets > 66% but I have more experience with it.  
  • In a series of shots, the first shot was seldom focused, but it improved over 2-4 shots, where the later shots were focused better.   
  • When shooting within 60ft, sharpness was better, past 60ft not as good.  Could be related to the mirage effect from the heat or sub-optimized AF Fine Tune
  • Frame rate was acceptable-- even though 5fps at 1.2 and 6fps at 1.5 crop isn't great, its a "good" 6fps, very consistent, and buffer was fine.  I measured slightly better than 6fps using the grip with alkalines.
  • I liked the format flexibility- I shot mostly 1.2 and 1.5x crop depending on the situation. 1.2x is a great combination with the 300mm f2.8, although in PP I found that after cropping I was generally closer to a 1.5x format
  • For those shots where the D800 nailed focus, the sharpness / resolution was definitely better than D300.  Compared to the D7100, it was about the same maybe a little below, although I have a few shots with the D7100 where it is a cut above the D800-- perhaps the D800e will close that gap a bit.   (I have to say, that D7100 sensor is terrific, but the buffer is pathetic, the AF is very tricky, and the frame rate is inconsistent.)
  • Dynamic range is very good-- in a very challenging / contrasty environment I had no issues pulling up shadows or pulling back highlights.   
  • I have the original collar for my 300mm f2.8, and decent monopod- the experience made me wonder if I need to upgrade both.   

If any experienced D800 users can comment as to whether the above limitations are manageable through better technique (or perhaps the rental needs some AF adjustments??)  I would appreciate it.   I may rent a D3s + 200-400 for comparison (I think I would need min of 400mm to shoot effectively with a D3s)

Thanks.

ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +8 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow