Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Buy an EM1 just for MF Lenses? Crazy?
4 months ago

I have 2 MF lenses, a Zeiss 50f2 Planar and a Leica 90F2.5 neither of which has in lens stabilization.  I use both of these on a Sony NEX-7 (which doesn't have IBIS).  As I'm getting older, I notice that I'm not able to hold the camera as steady as I used to, so am getting motion OOF with the MF lenses.  I can increase the ISO (NEX 7 is bad for this) or decrease the f/stop to get a faster shutter speed, but there's a limit to what I can do to stop motion blur.

The solution: IBIS. Sony, Fuji, and even Leica do not have IBIS. Only Olympus (Panasonic?) has it. So, would you buy a EM1 just for its 5-way 4-stop IBIS?  The EM1's super fast AF would be irrelevant with these MF lenses and so could be a "wasted".

Any suggestions?

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 650D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow