Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mac01
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Micro Four Thirds Astrophotography
9 months ago

I am curious how may people use m43 cameras for astrophotography so please share your experiences...I have used GH3, 60D, E620 (and now) EPL5 cameras for astro. My experiences have found that m43 is much improved over std43 for astrophotography. For shots under 2 minutes, the GH3 and EPL5 are close to 60D for many deep sky targets. However the m43 and 60D crushed the E620 due to noise and dynamic range. The EPL5 is a joy to use at the telescope because it is so small and lightweight with that great sensor but I do wish it had backlight buttons, could be fitted with an Astromonic IR filter and a side SD card slot. Attached are a couple of photos using an 8 inch SCT and Celestron Advanced VX mount w/o autoguiding so shots are 1.5 minutes stacked and integrated. Hopefully and when I get the autoguider going the exposures can extend to 3 - 5 minutes for more detail and less noise.

M42:  1.5 minute exposures --- 15 min total integration - EPL5 ISO 800

Makings of M81 Bode's Galaxy:  1.5 min exposures ---50 min integration time  EPL5 ISO 800 & 1600

Another night or two at the scope required for M81

Trifid nebula:  20 sec exposures --- Integration time ~ 800 sec EPL5 ISO 6400

Cheers

-- hide signature --

cameras are like my guitars...the output bites until you learn to use them. Then you realize it wasn't them after all.

mac01's gear list:mac01's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +3 more
Canon EOS 60D Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow