Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
DRabbit
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,631Gear list
Like?
Re: Battery Performance
In reply to rwl408, 9 months ago

rwl408 wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Looks to me as a legacy bit of buggy remediation code that was never fixed and may not even be required in the k3.

If it is simply a bug in the firmware, Pentax should have nailed it long time ago. I think it is more of a hardware design problem. Very possibly the power analog circuit design if I would venture a guess. All Pentax DSLRs seems to be very sensitive to battery ever since *ist days when off-the-shelf AA batteries were used. I believe Pentax must have looked in that direction hard and that is probably why Pentax later went with " proprietary" batteries for K-series - to have a better control of battery quality. When I bought my first DSLR, the AA battery flexibility was one factor that drove me towards Pentax. Not any more, sorry to say that.

My gut (for lack of engineering knowledge) tells me it's power-related as well. In my case, it most often happened with a newly charged battery, 30-40 minutes after putting it in. It did happen with spent batteries as well though... and others have reported with the grip, when the power is almost out.

I will say, what is a big plus to me to the K3, K5-II, etc... is the battery life. In general it's phenomenal. And even though it's super impressive with the K3, the K5-II often went much further. Shooting time-lapse on the K5-II, I easily shot 4-5 hours sessions, 5000 shots on one battery.

Amy

-- hide signature --

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
on Google+... on Twitter... on Facebook
My PAD Project and My Gallery

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow