Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick_Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 VS Nikkor 85/1.8 G
6 months ago

I currently have the 85/1.8 G and I find it to be (especially for its price) a very good lens, sharp and with nice bokeh, except that it tends to suffer now and then from massive amounts of bokeh fringing (green/magenta halos in the out of focus areas) at wide apertures (wider than 2.8)

I was thinking to replace it with the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 because I need/want a high quality, versatile lens that can do semi-macro (closeups of small objects) as well as portaiture and landscapes. (manual focus is not an issue for me)

After reading every conceivable review I am pretty much convinced that the Zeiss MP 100 optics are stellar, only the thing is that somebody mentions it has some CA/bokeh fringing...

So my question is, to those that have both lenses: is the Zeiss MP 100 better than the Nikon 85/1.8 G in terms of those nasty green/magenta halos in the defocused areas at large apertures?

Rick_Hunter's gear list:Rick_Hunter's gear list
Nikon D3S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow