ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Barbyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
My first test photos from 70D
9 months ago

Hi,

Picked up a 70D about 10 days ago and have been testing it. So far I am very pleased. From the parking lot of the store where I bought it - to the park near my home on a freezing, windy, 26 degree afternoon, I was fortunate to find a group of Trumpeter Swans in beautiful sun.

Manual settings ISO 400 f/8 1/3200 I believe the Trumpeters have some reddish on some of their heads and pink bar along bottom of beak.

severe crop and quite happy with that...

I got lucky and a small group started to circle

I was able to focus and track them with no problem - I barely figured out how to change settings before I got there.

cropped a few out as they flew by

crop of a few after landing

Haven't been on DPR for quite a long time, so I am more than a bit rusty. Hope I did this correctly.

Went from a Nikon D40X and Nikkor 70-300VR (which I liked a lot but could not afford lens upgrade)

Bought the 50D/400mm 5.6 - LOVED this combo for three years. Got a 7D last June and I hesitate to say this and do not want to offend 7D lovers because I KNOW it is a very capable camera - BUT - it's not working for me. Focus is super inconsistent unless light is perfect and even then. I've read everything. Tried everything - calibrated...just sent it back to Canon and we'll see what they have to say.

That said - my first time out with the 70D I had no time to even look at the book. Two minutes in the car before I got out and took these photos. I'm impressed! I don't want complicated - I just want the camera to work.

I always shoot manual and I think these particular pictures were all the same ISO 400 f/8 and 1/3200 and all were taken with Canon 400mm 5.6.

My fingers were so cold I could barely move them toward the end of the shoot.

Thanks to R2 for his wonderful eagle post - it pushed me to try the 70D and I am so happy I did!:-)

I'll post my eagle test shots next.

Just wanted to share my findings with others who are on the fence about this camera.

- barb

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D40X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow