Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?
Enjoying your trip vs going on photography expedition
5 months ago

Hello and welcome to Spring, finally!  I have a bit of a philosophical question for the crew.

I have a trip booked for early September to Glacier National Park.  It has been described as a photographer's dreamland.  I currently have an FZ200 and a Nikon 1.7 TC.   I often use the combo for birding and wildlife.   However, I find that the FZ200 is a bit lacking when used for landscape photography (without the TC attached of course).   Granted, I'm an armature photog, and don't plan to sell any images.  And, my lack of experience could be a major contributor to my general lack of satisfaction with my landscape shots.

Here's the question, and I suspect I'm not along in this querey:

Should I simply take my FZ200 for the wildlife and PURCHASE photographs that remind me of the trip?  Or spend $$$$$ on a full frame camera and perhaps wind up with some shots I can be proud to hang on a wall?

I already have photos on my wall that I did not take, and yet find them enjoyable to look at.

The FZ200 can capture the moment, in stills or in video.  My thought is that those "moments" are best captured by a lightweight and inexpensive solution that stands at the ready, and doesn't require a tripod or lens swaps.

I'll also be hiking a great deal.  The weight of the gear will have a negative impact on my enjoyment of the experience.  Also, I'd be paranoid of tripping and breaking an expensive gear.  I'm already paranoid of ruining my Nikon TC.

So weigh in please.  I'd like to know if anyone out there has decided to go light and let the pros provide the images, or go expensive and heavy and hope to get shots worth printing and hanging.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow