WSLam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,036Gear list
Like?
36 hours with a6000
4 months ago

Follow up of:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53350598

Just a few observations:

1) The EVF has excellent refresh rate even in low light. But to me, the lower resolution is noticeable. I have the a7R and X-T1, both have excellent EVF... of the 3, I have to give it to X-T1's EVF. It is imho, the best one overall.

2) The built in flash on the a6000 can be manually pushed down to do a bounce, it goes beyond 90 degrees when you push it back. But the built in flash cannot be used as wireless trigger.

3) The Sony leather half case gives you access to the USB/HDMI ports but not the battery/SD. Maybe Gariz will come out with one that does.

4) AF is really fast. In normal lighting conditions, AF-S and AF-C are both first rate, even when compare to my D800e. In fact I feel that the a6000 is faster, more consistent and more accurate.

5) AF-A works very well. Below image was shot with AF-A. I was really just testing it. My daughter was moving non stop, swinging her back left and right. I had Face Detection on. It locked on her face, and when she started moving, it switches to AF-C and instead of the FD AF Rectangle, it switches to those tiny focusing squares and just tracks her. This was shot with the FE55/1.8 (the perfect portrait lens on the a6000) at f1.8 and AF was dead on. Her eyelashes are sharp!

6) The space between the lens and the grip is tight. I can barely fit my finger in there. But that is also because I have the half case on I suppose. But the half case adds a little to the height, which I need for my larger than average hands

7) One 'bug': http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53353021 But i am unable to find out exactly how to reproduce it.

8) The camera overall is very very snappy. Makes the a7R feels like a snail by comparison. AF is a lot faster than a7R and the shutter too... feels much snappier.

9) When the AF from the a6000 trickle 'up' to the a7R, I will be ready to sell my D800e.

10) My initial test shows that there is no light leak! (ISO6400, shine LED Flash into the USB/HDMI ports)

-- hide signature --

too many cameras...

WSLam's gear list:WSLam's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony RX1R Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III +40 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800E Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow