ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
Stuff being thrown at my head, painfully funny self portraits
6 months ago

I think these are hilarious!!

Funny photography series of Kaija Straumanis being headshotted with various objects. You'd think that some of those objects would hurt, and I bet they did! But all for the love of photography, no pain no gain!

Kaija Straumanis, a U.S.-based photographer and grad student, has gone viral with a funny and light-hearted set of self-portrait images that capture various random objects as they collide gracefully with her head.

Perhaps the best thing about the images is that they’re pulled off so well. Each picture captures the exact moment of impact, and despite her mashed-up face and flailing hair and glasses, her eyes remain impressively focused. Her stoic gaze is all the more impressive considering that a few of these photos must have hurt at least a little bit.

The photos also seem like visual representations of epiphanies – that moment when an idea or realization hits you like a ton of bricks (or a boot or a kickball). According to her Flickr, some of the images have ideas behind them – the ice scraper, for example, is the sudden realization that the beautiful fall colors of the trees around her signal the onset of winter.

Judging by her photostream, Straumanis is fairly well-traveled, and has quite a few more interesting self-portraits and travel photos as well. Indeed, these “collision” self-portraits are only a small part of the photographing experimentation that she has undertaken, so be sure to check out the rest of her work as well!

They made me laugh anyway!!

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow