Help on lenses for travel with the OMD-EM10.

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,988Gear list
Like?
Re: Thoughts
In reply to sparklite, 4 months ago

sparklite wrote:

All in if you want to take a single lens the 12-40 really is spectacular. I travelled on a hiking trip through Utah last May and didn't have a good zoom but took some lovely primes. For that trip I carried the panasonic 25 f1.4 (the new oly f1.8 is lighter and has good review); 17mm f2.8; 12 f2; and 75mm f1.8. All in my kit with camera was lighter than my colleague with his cannon 7D and two lenses. If you are not a bokeh junkie then the 12-40 + one lens with longer reach would be a great combination and would likely weigh less than taking a large collection of lenses.

Best word of advice I can give you: take the best lens you can afford and don't be disappointed with the results after traveling so far. If I were doing the Utah trip today i'd probably take my 12-40 + 75mm (longest reach I have in my m43 kit).

-- hide signature --

http://photography.myrans.ca
http://Instagram.com/myransphoto
Shooting with an Olympus E3 and OM-D(5)

If I had the Oly 12-40mm zoom, I'd take it - along with any one of the following that meets your needs:

Panasonic 45-150,  Panasonic 45-175,  Olympus 40-150,  Panasonic 35-100,  Olympus 75mm f1.8

As I do not have the 12-40mm lens, I tend to shoot with primes.   My personal light travel kit is:

Panasonic 14mm (feel free to substitute the Olympus 12mm),

PanaLeica 25mm (feel free to substitute the Olympus 25mm),

and either the Sigma 60mm or the Panasonic 45-175mm (feel free to substitute from the same list of longer lenses I mentioned above to compliment the 12-40mm)

Sometimes I travel with both the Sigma 60mm (which is also my macro lens, using screw-in diopters) and the Panasonic 45-175mm zoom.

I also sometimes travel with my Sony VCL-ECU1 wide converter that turns my 14mm into a 10.5mm

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow