Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Koenig
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
24-120: f/3.5-5.6 vs. f/4?
8 months ago

With the 24-120 f/4 being on sale, I've been thinking about replacing my old 24-120 f/3.5-5.6.

Reviewers all agree that the f/4 lens is better, and that the VR works better. Some reviewers even say that the older lens is complete trash. Yet when I tried the f/4 lens in a completely unscientific test at a photo show a couple of years ago, I had a hard time telling the difference between images from the two lenses.

Perhaps I have a particularly good sample of the f/3.5-5.6. At one point I was really disappointed with its images and I sent it back to Nikon for repair. I think they wound up replacing the entire lens and not telling me, because the one that came back had a different serial number.

So my question is this: Does anyone out there have image comparisons (not test charts) between these two lenses that might convince me that it's worth spending the money to upgrade?

In answer to the obvious question as to why I don't go for the 24-70 or the new 24-85 instead: I use the 70-120mm range a lot.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow