75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,593
Like?
Re: 75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, 7 months ago

If you're going to shoot landscapes, then the 35-100 is going to be a MUCH more flexible option and the speed of the 75mm is pretty much wasted.

And the zoom is a very, VERY lovely lens indeed. Beautiful to use. Fantastic images.

I suspect if you're a portrait fiend as well though, you'll probably end up wanting both. I'm contemplating the 75 as well. Hard for me to justify at the moment though.

What I do find hilarious is the wide open, low light examples posted to show off the 75mm lens. Great shots, but if we would have been having a FF v 4/3 argument, and someone would have posted FX images shot at 150mm f3.6 equivalent of people on a stage, then there would have been an outpouring of ridicule with "but look ... only the front people are in focus ... how useless is that!"

And all this 'special rendering' stuff ... LOL ... all you're really seeing is what a shallow DOF and good subject isolation looks like. Yet when full frame users comment about the advantages of being able to achieve that look, then they tend to be shot down in flames.

You bunch are a funny lot

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow