Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Lucien
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Re: 4 pages detailed review at monox.jp
In reply to technic, 8 months ago

technic wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Same issue my Sony RX100M2 had.. except it was at 28mm F1.8 and only became useable at F2.8

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3593706

When you make a lens that covers such a wide range, there will be compromises.

Not unusual really.

yes, it seems like this is what you get when making a bright lens for larger sensor too compact. I'm really starting to doubt the value of that bright lens, which IMHO is the main selling point of the G1X II. I think I would prefer a slower lens (e.g. f/3.5-5.6) with the same focal length range that is sharp wide open (and smaller / lighter and possibly cheaper).

I hope the Nikon P8000 gives better results near wide open; the smaller sensor and experience with some previous Coolpix and Nikon 1 lenses should help.

Same was said about S100 few years ago when going from 28 to 24mm and apparently also with Sony (and tons of other camera's). This is typical especially with f2.0 and wide 24mm (unless you are buying a $1000+ lens). Checkout some of the top lens reviews on dpreview just for reference.

Note however don't expect it in daylight conditions to choose f2. It would only choose that with low light conditions and in that case you'll lose some detail anyway (certainly if alternative is higher ISO). Also remember you can add more sharpening but not all pictures will look like a resolution chart...

Until we see dpreview studio comparison still bit hard to do a good comparison between previous model and other cameras. Don't expect huge difference at lowest ISO compared to camera's with smaller sensors. Biggest difference would be in low light in theory given much larger sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow