Help on lenses for travel with the OMD-EM10.

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
Re: Help on lenses for travel with the OMD-EM10.
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, 5 months ago

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

photokarl wrote:

I will be traveling to Europe (Budapest, Vienna, Prague) this summer with the OMD-EM10. Although the Oly 12-40 2.8 would seem to be right, I am concerned about the weight and size. I would prefer to travel a bit more light, if possible. I have looked a few other posts on the matter but am still confused.

Allow me to insist: I too, at first, thought that the M.Zuiko 12-40mm was too heavy. After one week, I got used to it. If you can afford it, get it: it's the best normal zoom for m4/3 cameras that have IBIS.

I agree, I adjusted to the weight very quickly and am reaping the reward of excellent images.

If that's really out of the question, then you could get the Lumix 14-45mm or maybe the new Lumix 12-32mm.

You could also bring a good telezoom like the M.Zuiko 40-150mm.

The 40-150 would be the perfect mate to the 12-40 IMHO. These are the two lenses I always carry. Then your focal length range would be from 12mm to 150mm, or in FF 24mm to 300mm.

May I suggest also the excellent Lumix 7-14mm. You won't need it often but it's invaluable for narrow streets and to get ceilings in European churches, especially if your normal zoom starts at 14mm.

A fourth lens could be a fast prime for nighttime photography: Lumix 20mm or M.Zuiko 17mm F/1,8, or Pan-Leica 25mm, for example.

A small fast prime for dark lighting situations would be nice to have and the 3 mentioned above are all excellent from the images I've seen posted on forums such as these.

That would be the perfect kit for your next trip. Have a good time.

-- hide signature --

Bobby

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow