Sharpest 24mm prime to go on a D610

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,933Gear list
Like?
The 24 f1.4 is great but the zooms are excellent too.
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 4 months ago

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

The 14-24 is amazingly good, but it has definite drawbacks as a travel lens. It really takes up a lot of space in a bag, the lens cap is ... difficult to deal with in the field, flare comes out of nowhere at times, and of course there is the filter thing.

I took it out of my backpack in favor of the 16-35. When I travel, I switch to a waist bag, and the 14-24 just doesn't fit. It's hard to imaging many small bags that would hold it, along with a couple of more useful lenses. A couple of times in Europe I wished for the extra width though.

Some 14-24 flare examples here:

http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/14-24/index.html

Your comments mirror mine to the "T", Craig. I think we are preaching from the same book, so to speak. Also, like you, I even use a lens exchange case on my waste belt when travelling for quick swaps between my 16-35 and the 24-70.

As you say the 14-24 is amazingly good,  superb mostly in fact, but there are those drawbacks that you mention. A great lens when you can control when and where you shoot and use it under 20mm where it is superb.

However, I do now have the 24 f1.4G and love it. Sharpness wise, you won't see much of an improvement over the 16-35 at 24mm and stopped down to f8, but IQwise, bokeh colour etc, it has a nicer look to it and you have all those extra stops for creativity.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow