D800E UK - do I need the latest production run?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
lampman
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E UK - do I need the latest production run?
In reply to Photofunster, 9 months ago

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well, I know the lenses would need to be adjusted individually, however I have read that it is best not to test the AF of a lens at the minimum focus distance, so whereas it is practical to test the accuracy of a 24-70mm using a test chart displayed on a monitor how does one test the longer lenses? What methods are currently being used to test AF accuracy

I have been using the D800E for nearly two weeks with mixed results, the D700 instantly gave pleasing images which were always well exposed and accurately focused, a very easy camera to use.

Using the D800E has been a different experience right from the start, images seem a bit harsher and maybe a little overexposed, which could be down to the greater DR of the camera or just me getting used to a different metering system.

Some images are amazingly detailed and allow heavy cropping, others fall short of what I achieved with the D700.

This may well be my technique as I understand that the extra resolution of this camera tends to highlight any weaknesses in technique, but if I could ensure that the lens camera combination is setup in the best way possible, at least I could be sure it's just me at the start of the learning curve, so AF fine tuning (or testing) seems to be the first step.

Graham

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow