Sharpest 24mm prime to go on a D610

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
golf1982
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Sharpest 24mm prime to go on a D610
In reply to Tuanglen, 7 months ago

Tuanglen wrote:

On my D610 I use a manual focus 24mm prime: Nikkor 24mm f/2 AI-S. Back in the 1980s, it was the favorite 24mm of almost all pro photojournalists. It's no longer available new, but you can probably get it used for about $350 USD. Take a look at Ken Rockwell's Nikon 24mm lens sharpness comparison photos:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/comparisons/24mm/

Notice that it's as sharp in the center at f/4 as the $2000 USD 14-24mm f/2.8 is at f/8. The 14-24 is sharper at the edges until f/4, after which they are both the same. The manual focus lens has to be manually focused, of course, but since it's an f/2 lens, that's easy in the daytime unless you have to catch quick action. At night it's harder, but at night the 14-24 AF often struggles and is frequently manually focused as well (for scenery, architecture, etc.)

If I could pick one or the other and get it for free, I'd take the 14-24, because it offers a wider range of options. (Whether I would then be willing to carry it is another question.) But if I mainly cared about 24mm, sharpness, and price, I'd look at this manual prime, which is about equally sharp at 24mm as the superb 14-24mm f/2.8 but costs about one-sixth as much.

rockwell makes a lot of stuff up, and "reviews" gear that has not even been released. So you cannot believe a word he says, best to ignore him.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow