Started 5 months ago | Polls thread
chipmaster
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: picture of the shutter mechanism
In reply to Nung, 5 months ago

JacquesC wrote:

Nung wrote:

Not necessarily true. Yes if you don't use the mech. shutter, it doesn't wear off. But the senor does! After all, it is just semi-conductor, however, how fast does it degrade and by what degree, I have no idea.

As far as I know the sensor does not "wear off". Being a solid state device it should remain fully functional without any degradation.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

No! All semi-conductors have a decay time. But that time is slow. We're talking about in the regain of a 100 year (more or less, 10-20 years give or take) but don't think that's true for cmos sensor. 1st for semi-conductor components, the semi-conductor material are all wrapped up with protective casings. So the decay mainly comes from the material itself and not affected greatly from the surroundings (weather, humility.....etc.). However, that's not true for the cmos sensor so I would expect it to decay in a much faster rate. Again, not sure of the time frame but just wanna to point out, do not have an illusion that the only part that might go wrong is the mechanical shutter.

A CMOS sensor and transistor life depends highly on temperature of use ( junction temperature) and use condition. Even without knowing the details I will venture the sensor will be the last thing to fail of it doesn't in the first year ( infant mortality )

Things like temperature cycling in and out of car or in and out of freezing weather will be harder on other stuff. Other poster is right about what will fail first

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PassNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow