Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
1prime
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Lump the Hump!
6 months ago

As some of you know, I've been an outspoken proponent of the Sony rangefinder style. But after reading Mel's and blue sky's accounts of their A7s, I decided to actually put an A7 in my hands. Well, my first impression was what a small camera the A7 is compared to it's full frame Nikon and Canon cousins. Of course, the weights are drastically different with the A7 feeling like a featherweight in comparison.

Ok, I'm getting to the hump. So I put the A7's EVF up to my glasses, and ..... wholla!!!... it's EVF fit even better than my NEX 7's and it was very clear. The only aspect missing was a level. I think the hump looks larger to many of us NEXers for 2 reasons: 1. Us NEX users have an instant reflex when we see anything resembling a large and heavy DSLR Nikon or Canon. 2. The SONY name in front stands out. But in reality, I have to admit the hump is not that large of a bump!!!

Another advantage of the Hump for Sony is the big box stores are now displaying the A7 next to the DSLR Nikons and Canons so the Sony cameras now look legitimate to the typical buyer. And the advantage instantly goes to the A7 when the various cameras are lifted. The NEX 6 & 7 never had that privilege in the stores in my hood. Now all Sony has to do is get its A7's picture and small ad in the big box store's weekly supplement so it's totally in the camera big leagues.

Put the A7 in your hands, and it feels like a tight NEX 7, not a Nikon. So my conclusion is to just "Lump the Hump!" and, as they like to say these days, "Get used to it." But I think you'll find you actually appreciate the Hump.

Finally, I also have to admit that I haven't yet tired of my NEX 7, so it might be a couple more evolutions before I actually buy into the Hump Bandwagon. Don

-- hide signature --

1prime

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow