Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoogineer
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
A great-value lens that let's you shoot low-light indoors
7 months ago

I bought my copy for $350 from Amazon -- right before an even greater price reduction to clear it out for the newer model -- and have been very happy with it ever since. I'm sure it's not as sharp or as accurate focusing as the newer model, but I have been very pleased with the lens nonetheless.

I bough it primarily to take indoor photos of my family without having to use the on-camera flash. During the day, I typically can get away with sub-1600 ISO at 1/250 and f/1.8. In the evening, with just a single 40w-equivalent bulb, I can shoot as low as 1/60 at ISO 3200 and f/1.4 (although it's difficult to focus properly in that light).

Some people complain of front- or back-focusing, but my experience is that it performs adequately with decent lighting. If anything, I'm limited by the single cross-type AF point on my 600d. It's also possible that users are shooting f/1.4 without selecting a single AF point: with such a short DoF, it's easy to not get the desired part of the subject in focus if you let the camera select the AF point used.

With f/1.4 glass, you would expect very narrow DoF and nice bokeh. This lens unquestionably has narrow DoF, and I think it delivers nice bokeh, too.

FTM is a welcome addition, although I don't find myself exercising it except in Live Mode, since it's difficult for me to discern focus tweaks at f/1.4 through the EVF.

The closest Canon lens is the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, which gives up a 2/3 stop and is slightly wider. The Canon might be a better performer in AF (resulting in sharper pictures), but it cost $100 more at the time of purchase.

I have a couple indoor shots with this lens in my gallery; feel free to check it out.

If you're considering purchasing this lens today, I think you have to consider what's available now and how much it's going to cost. Sub-$300, I think it's a stellar deal. Over $350, I think you need to consider the aforementioned Canon EF 28mm f1/.8 USM or the newer version, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art Lens.

I think you have to consider cost in the rating.  At $350, I think this is a 4-star lens.  (Below $300, it's 4.5 stars.  Above $400, it's maybe 3.5 stars.)

Hoogineer's gear list:Hoogineer's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Hoogineer's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow