ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe Tam
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Whats the best, longest telephoto zoom?
6 months ago

Hi,

I cover a multitude of different assignments but am looking for a long telephoto zoom for covering breaking news as access is often restricted at many times or I have to find a rooftop to shoot from.

I have had to run for a mile with a 400/2.8mm and 2 Nikon D-series cameras, 70-200, 17-35mm on my shoulders and cannot do that anymore.  So I am looking for something that can give me reach without breaking my back.

I see a lot of zooms from Panasonic and Olympus.  I was thinking of getting the Panasonic 100-300/4-5.6 but heard it's not great past 200mm and the AF motor is of an older design.  I also see they make a 45-150mm, 45-200, 14-150, and Olympus has a 75-300.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.  I am just looking for a long telephoto with the least amount of compromises and the 100-300 seems to fit the bill.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow