Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,606
Like?
V2 vs OMD E-M10
5 months ago

I have a Nikon V2 but have been totally disappointed at where Nikon is heading with the V3 ( price increase over V2, with no apparent sensor quality improvement, non-integrated EVF and non-integrated grip) I thought I'd look around at alternatives. I tried the OMD E-M10 which was billed as having one of the better performing micro 4/3 sensors.

Here is my opinion from trying the OMD E-10 in the shop:-

Lots of external controls

Lots of customisation options

Just as compact as V2 with standard lenses

Much better lens options

Very nice viewfinder with no real lag

Equivalent ISO settings were much cleaner than on the V2, about 1 to 2 stops!

Focus aquisition felt just as fast as the V2

Very nice build quality

The package felt very, very attractive..... but....

Downloading the photos and processing in RAW it was very clear that the ISO ratings for the E-M10 were about a stop more optimistic than the V2. ISO 6400 on the E-M10 gave about the same exposure as ISO 3200 on the V2. Very disappointing and very misleading. The E-M10 was only about 0.5 stop better than the V2 for equivalent exposures.

The shutter slap on the E-M10 was tremendous. You could feel the whole camera shake.

Whilst all the controls could be customised and no doubt the camera could be set-up to be very easy to use, the initial feel was that of feature overload that would get in the way of taking photos. The V2 is actually a very simple camera to use with extremely good ergonomics.

Frame rates and buffer times were just not in the same ballpark as the V2.

Once the subject starts to move there is a fair bit of focus hunting in tracking or continuous AF modes on the E-M10.

The moral of this is don't be tempted to listen to DXO mark sensor scores or believe the extent of the hype of how much worse the 1 series sensors are than other mirrorless offerings until you have tried them yourself. The difference in image quality is not as great as the figures indicate when processing from RAW and you will be giving up a lot in speed and responsiveness for what is a relatively minor upgrade in low light quality.

Will I ever change from the 1 series. Depends on Nikon. If they continue their approach as they have with the V3 whilst other manufacturers catch up in speed and focus performance than yes I will.... and at current rate of progress probably within 1 to 2 years. For now the V2 remains the best option for me as a backup to my dSLR in terms of a whole camera package for speed, acceptable performance and size.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow