I Returned the K3

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,592Gear list
Like?
Re: I Returned the K3
In reply to awaldram, 6 months ago

awaldram wrote:

It also occurs with all K series models so I fail to see the OMG for the K3.

I think it written in the FW to cope with mirror mis sync , Might not even be required fro the K3 (left over from siingle motor K5 series)

Whilst it is a bit of a disaster if the k5 series does it , It's not the same portent of doom for the K3.

The one situation we know will cause mirror flop that does not come from hardware issues is Voltage brown out.

As all reports of 'failure' have been when the battery is under heavy load I personally am not really concerned about it.

The users affected may have a different stance and should have it out with their suppliers but I fail to see what concern I should have.

As to why the k3 can 'brown out' a full battery where the K5 couldn't look at CIPA shot counts and think dual motors, The K3 is capable of drawing considerably more current than the K5 series and if you have LV, AF-c, video, time lapse etc I can see Battery voltage sagging.

As is the case for the OP her point could be the camera is not fit for purpose , But a suspect the counter would be the cameras purpose is not multiple hour time lapse

You are addressing "under what circumstances does this happen?" Since I was using burst mode, AF-C with a big SDM lens, and DNGs, and had been for hours before, I won't argue against your view that it is triggered by heavy battery load.

But that still leaves the question: "why does the mirror flip?" Of all the camera's potential reactions to heavy load, that appears to be one of the most unlikely! It doesn't appear to be the case that camera has gone down a normal path in the wrong circumstances. It appears to be an abnormal path that shouldn't even be there!

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow