ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Dennehy
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
Wildflife Camera Suggestions Please
9 months ago

Hi.

I have an F770 EXR which I like and goes up to 500mm (ignoring digital zoom) and a DSLR with a 300mm lens (450mm equiv on APS-C) and I've tried this with a 2x tele-converter making it 900mm or so which still leaves me a bit short. Using the teleconverter I have to use manual focus as expected and it also degrades the image quality also as expected.

I am mainly after sea birds out on the mud flats, there is absolutely no cover and no way to approach them with out being seen and they have very good sentries.

I could get a 50/500 or 120/400 for my DSLR but neither really appeals to me mostly as I really don't want to be carrying such heavy and bulky equipment around.

So I have been looking at the S1 which goes up to 1200mm and most importantly is weather resistant because squalls come in off the Atlantic without much warning and there's nowhere to take shelter.

I am well aware of the shortcomings of the small sensor as opposed to APS-C but in my opinion they are not nearly as bad as they used to be and I am happy with that in the F770 EXR.

I know how difficult it is to get a good sharp image even with shake resistance on and I was wondering how good the S1 is in this respect, how good it is at the long end and is there much depth of field when fully extended.

Advice appreciated.

The HS50 EXR would be my second choice.

-- hide signature --

CD

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Kodak Pixpro S-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow