Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
New S1 versus Sony RX10
5 months ago

My ten year old daughter wanted a pink camera, so I got her an S1 with 11-27.5 lens.

So of course I had to charge the battery and take a few test shots before giving it to her.   And compare it to my Sony RX10.  ($279 camera versus $1300 camera, both with one inch sensors)

I don't know what I was expecting, but the S1 definitely passes muster.  Here are a couple of comparison shots.

Of course with the long zoom range (24-200) of the RX10 we would expect its image quality not to be as good as the  11-27.5 lens.   And that is what we see.  I am only posting two photos here, but I found similar results with a number of photos.   Both cameras were operating on Auto modes.  Perhaps the RX10 would have fared better if I had taken control and reduced its aperture so I don't know that this comparison proves anything.  It is just that I like the results from the S1 and I am happy I can give it to my daughter knowing it is a good camera.

S1

RX10

Sony RX10 and Nikon S1

By the way, thanks to everyone who responded to my J1 / Nikon 1 questions earlier this week.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +20 more
Kodak Pixpro S-1 Nikon 1 J1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow