5D Mark ii as my first camera? Help me decide if I should purchase.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HassanChop
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
5D Mark ii as my first camera? Help me decide if I should purchase.
7 months ago

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the DSLR world. I've was looking at the Canon 70D and thinking I could move up to the full frame camera instead.

Here is the reason I ask if I should buy this:

1. I'm able to get a 5D Mark ii for $900 used (body).

2. I eventually want to move onto a full frame camera from crop sensor.

3. Instead of investing in crop sensor lens and then starting over I can start will full frame lens.

4. Once I am experienced enough maybe years down the line I would like to start taking pictures of weddings/people. I find it enjoying capturing those moments with people.

I've been researching and reading the forums here for weeks. I want to pull the trigger and make a decision soon.

I would like to mainly use the camera as a good starting point. I won't be using it for sports just everyday pics.

I would also like to use it for some video. I've seen the videos it produces on Vimeo and YouTube and I'm very pleased at what I saw.

I won't be shooting in low light often. Even if I do I'm sure the Mark ii will be fine if I get a decents lens.

Is there some rule around not starting with a full frame from the get go?

I'm fully dedicated to learning through books, workshops, and so on.

Some side notes:

I'm already using Lightroom for my pictures. I'm also familiar with Photoshop CC and Premiere which I have been using to edit videos for a couple of years.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow