At what size of print out of D700 will show the same quality as that of D600.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,614Gear list
Like?
Re: +1 on printer calibration
In reply to ebuddha, 8 months ago

ebuddha wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Printer calibration is probably the biggest hitter, all things being equal.

The biggest improvement to my prints was after having a custom printer profile created for my printer/paper/ink and printing using Qimage.

Talking about at base ISO, I got really nice 11X14 prints from my E1 at 5MP. I honestly can't see any real difference at this size (again at base ISO) between my D200 and my D7000. Lens IQ, the type of printer/software etc make more difference at this print size than sensor MP once you get past 10-12MP.

I would suggest to the OP, instead of buying a new camera for $3000 to have costco print the results, spend that money on a really nice printer, have a custom profile made for it and see a MUCH larger improvement in print quality.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey,

did you have someone come to your location to build the profiles or did you do it yourself?

if you hired someone - what would you recommend looking for?

I used a service that provided a digital file of a bunch of color squares and specific instructions on how to set everything in photoshop & the printer driver (turn off all color management as I recall). Then I printed the page using the paper/ink I planned to use and mailed the print to them. In a week or so they emailed me back a custom profile.I was shocked at the difference it made. Even using different paper, this profile works better than any of the canned ones the paper manufactures had for my printer.

I used "cathy's profiles" but I don't think they are around anymore. I had this done many years ago when I first got my Canon i9900 and am still happy with the results I get from this printer using the profile she made. I'm sure there are others who do this same process of printing their file and snail mailing them the print for profiling.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow