Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,719Gear list
Like?
14-42EZ vs 14-42IIR Pics
4 months ago

I picked up a copy of the 14-42EZ pancake this afternoon and decided to take a walk around with it. I also took my 14-42IIR to try to do some comparison shots to see how one compared to the other.

Initial impressions of the EZ:

(1) The build quality is very good for a kit lens. Does not feel light or plasticky at all. The zoom and MF focus rings turn nicely - meaning they feel well dampened (don't move too fast or slowly).

(2) The electronic zoom is not as awkward as I thought it would be. On the EM10 you can change the zoom speed (which I reset to FAST) and it is pretty nice. While I do like the way turning on and off of the camera activates the lens - it does slow down a bit the power up of the EM10. Not dramatic but certainly noticeable. (Then again it is not as annoying as that black screen "YOUR LENS IS LOCKED" message that you get from the 14-42IIR.) That slight slow down of the startup is my only minor quibble so far - might miss that last second grab shot. But the smaller size certainly makes up for that.

(3) The AF speed is great - comparable to the 14-42IIR on the EM10. Did not do any real direct testing, but seems very similar. (I use one central AF spot BTW.)

(4) IQ - they seem VERY close. Please note: I am not a pixel peeper and only viewed these shots at 100% to see how they compare and most of my comparisons were in the center of the shots, or where I felt I focused the shots. I did not compare "corner to corner". For most of the shots I compared (and this is not a scientific test by any stretch of the imagination), I would say the sharpness/contrast of the EZ was slightly better. Enough to sell one for the other - nope. But since I wanted something to make the EM10 smaller/pocketable, this certainly fits the bill without losing any IQ and AF speed over the 14-42IIR.

Some shots:

14-42IIR

14-42EZ

14-42 EZ

14-42IIR

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow