I wonder how others are finding the 18-55....

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JFMoore
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Re: 55-200
In reply to wyldberi, 6 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

It would be very confusing to place aperture values around a ring on a zoom lens whose aperture setting varies as the focal length is adjusted.

Leaving the aperture markings off Its not a short coming of the Fuji zoom lenses; it's the only practical solution. If you need to know the current aperture setting, look in the viewfinder.

Nikon has some lenses that are not constant aperture but have a mechanical ring with marked stops. It's not really confusing.

The point is with the primes the f number is right there to read, as is the shutter speed.   I usually leave ISO alone unless lighting changes dramatically.  So I can glance down at the camera in my hand or on a strap, without even turning it on and know what every setting is.  I can change the aperture without even turning the camera on, for example I'm outside and want to take some shots at f/16.  Often I can dial in a good exposure before I bring the camera to my eye.  But not with the zooms.

.. looked up the pics of the upcoming 50-140 f/2.8 and 16-55 f/2.8 zooms, they both have marked rings as expected.  The 50-140 looks like a tank though, ah well...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow