ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
A7 first impressions - suggestions welcome
6 months ago

Short version:

I don't know whether to keep it or return it. I shoot film, manual focus lenses and I am playing around with a lensbaby, so on one hand the A7 is the only FF camera with EVF and peaking, which is important to me (mainly with lensbaby and tilt-shift lenses). On the other side there is no point shooting with a camera that gets me frustrated. So it really depends if I can get used to the issues I found, shutter button it shouldn't be hard for example.

There is other issues, like slow "handling", which causes me to loose shots, that are really the hard pill to swallow.

Have you guys found a way to work around any of these issues?

Details:

Good stuff:

- IQ is great.

- Haven't found any IQ issues with either the Nokton 35/F1.2 or the Zeiss Planar 50/F2 using the Novoflex adapter.

- Focus peaking works really well even when using a Nokton 35 at 1.2

The so-so:

- EVF is not bad but it is not great either. It is nice having a "preview of the image" but I do also like looking at the real stuff and I don't really need a preview.

However, I found couple of minor handling issues:

- The shutter button is awfully "mushy". The first stop press doesn't offer any feedback, it is as if it didn't exist (maybe this is with manual focus lenses only? don't know but it is annoying).

- It doesn't have a way to turn off the LCD and leave it working for playback/menus. You can turn it off but then even the menus you have to look thru the EVF (WTF?), or you can set it in auto and work with the eye sensor, this adds delay, power consumption and it is freaking distracting.

- Lack of min shutter speed on the Auto-ISO, almost always picks 1/60 (WTF Sony??)

- Focus peaking doesn't play nice with exposure compensation. Ex: Can't underexpose and them focus peak as it looses contrast.

And a couple of frustrating ones:

- When camera goes into sleep mode it takes a long time to wakeup. Enough to make me miss shots (Grrrrrrrrr)

- It doesn't memorize the last settings between A and M mode. Ex: set ISO to auto in M mode and 400 in A mode, I have to change it back and forth each time I switch modes (Grrrrrrrrr)

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow