D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
WalterSanders
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?
In reply to soukous, 6 months ago

soukous wrote:

I agree Gary.

When I was using 35mm film cameras the only time I upgraded my body (camera) was when one got damaged or ceased working. All the money went into improved lenses.

With the advent of digital cameras the whole emphasis has changed.

Every year sees better sensors and more megapixels, which gives better ISO range and the ability to pull up more detail. (I shoot birds and animals so I like detail.)

In terms of why I would like to upgrade, I feel that my D300s does not handle awkward lighting particularly well and i get too many blown highlights when shooting against the light. My D80 is a bit long in the tooth and batteries run down very quickly when using big AF lenses. I don't know why that is as the D300s uses the same battery and lasts much much longer.

I like to carry 2 bodies with me. It's a habit I got into years ago and even though I can get memory cards that will hold more pictures than I can shoot in a day It is convenient to have 2 bodies with different lenses mounted.

So my thinking was to phase out the D80, move the D300s to bench warmer and start using an upgraded model.

- or maybe it's just me looking for an excuse to buy a new toy.

I remember those days, I just took out and dusted off my first SLR a Nikon FT2.

While we wore the bodies out, we did change film all the time and film is the equivalent of the sensor.

New films came out, old films where replaced or used when their characteristics suited the shoot.

Its just film was/is a consumable. If you view a "sensor" the same way, it just doesn't come out of the body.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow