Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeremyTP
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Advice on selecting a good monopod?
9 months ago

Hi there. I am looking for a good Monopod for using for live events in (often) crowded spaces. I'd like to be able to get the weight off my arms, and benefit from the stability that a monopod can provide. I'll use it mainly for photo, but also video in low light situations.

I also want to be able to use it outdoors for nature photography with my 70-400G on occasion, so the lighter it can be the better.

After a bit of research, I am thinking this Monfotto might be a good fit (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757124-REG/Manfrotto_562B_1_Fluid_Video_Aluminum_4_Section.html#pr-header-back-to-top-link), but my concern is that the head does not pan/tilt, rather, you move your body and the tilting and panning happens in the lower joint where the little legs are. Given that I'll be using it in crowded spaces, I worry that this arrangement might become awkward and perhaps a tripping hazard in crowded standing room only live music rooms.

By the way, I use a Sony a99 and often also shoot the camera in portrait (90 degree) orientation. For examples of what I really want this for, see my latest live music photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremy_tudor_price/

Any tips, advice? I've found a decent deal on the Manfrotto 562B LNIB. I don't mind the idea of adding a more suitable head to it given the price.

Thanks in advance!!!

JeremyTP's gear list:JeremyTP's gear list
Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +5 more
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow