Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wayner01bst
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
hvl-f43am vs 43m
9 months ago

I know the 43am is discontinued and one of the differences between the two is the hot shoe.

My question is - are there any other differences - major or minor.

I have an A77 and bought the 43M. I demo-ed the 43am (unknowingly at a local camera store). The demo flash worked great. Got home, tried to mount the new flash, and what the @#%#?

I have aftermarket hot shoe adaptors, but they don't work on the A77/43M - flash will not fire.

So I have a few options - get the Sony ADP-AMA adapter, or go back to the store and swap the new 43M for the store demo 43AM (no demo discount either - yes, I asked, but they offered extended warranty). I will have to order an adapter online, will have in a day or two. local camera store does not have Sony adapter.

43AM - Pro=no adapter needed, con=older/discontinued

43M - pro=current model, con=needs adapter which just adds a potential weak point to break (rotating the flash head while not fully supporting the adapter could cause it to break IMO)

An alternate to all this is the Metz 58AF-2 (same price and no adapter needed). But I really like the rotating flash head of the Sony.

So, other than old hot shoe vs new hot shoe - whats the difference

Thank you for any comments or advice

Wayne

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow