Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
health care lesson
4 months ago

I just learned something interesting. As I am sure you know many people who can't afford to pay for healthcare under the ACA are being signed up under the new "expanded" medicaid in some states.

My mother in law lives with us. she is 84 years old and a naturalized citizen who has never worked in this country. Because she has no income and never paid in to get medicare she is on medical, California's version of medicaid. For the last month or so she has been visiting my wives sister in Florida and this last week she got sick and had to go to the hospital. The bill for the hospital stay was roughly $24,000.

now this is the interesting part - Medical will pay for her emergency care when she is out of state - it took my wife all day yesterday on the phone to verify this, but Florida will not accept it or bill it. They literally tried to not let my mother in law leave the hospital without paying, but of course she didn't have that kind of money and they couldn't stop her. Whats sad is even though my mother in law gave them all of her medical information and medical said they would pay if they received a bill, the florida hospital said that because they were not set up to bill California's medical they would just write it off.

apparently they only are set up to bill Georgia and a couple other states

whats the point of having a system that puts the most needy on state run medicaid if it isn't accepted in all states? Do they really think people only get sick or hurt at home?

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
mamaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow