Is the Panny 20mm f/1.7 slow to focus on the GX7?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,886Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Panny 20mm f/1.7 slow to focus on the GX7?
In reply to traveler_101, 6 months ago

traveler_101 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

traveler_101 wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

Also, it seems to me that the size of the AF point box seems to affect it as well - i.e., the smaller the size of the AF box the slower it is and is somewhat less reliable, but it may just be me.

No, not just you: I have had a similar experience, but I must admit that I have not undertaken tests to prove this is true.

I haven't noticed any problems with using the smallest AF box (as I always do on my E-M5). Of course, a very small box can occasionally give rise to problems due to insufficiently strong AF signal (contrast relative to noise) within that box. But that's the same for any lens and has nothing to do specifically with the 20.

Absolutely correct, one should increase focus box size when shooting in low light conditions. That said, when trying night shooting back in December i could not get the P-20 to focus at all, while the P-14 did manage, albeit slowly.

In all likelihood a matter of target differences rather than lens ability. Even if you shoot exactly the same subject with the two lenses, you will have AF target variation unless you vary the subject distance to keep magnification constant. See also my other reply to you here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53345416

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow