Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Babaflowflee
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Travelling with my new D610
9 months ago

So I'm about to go on a big 2 month trip (lucky me) and buying my first full frame DSLR with the Nikon D610. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of landscape but also want to do some day to day stuff as well. The budget has been stretched far already but with comparatively cheap camera prices here in Oz compared to back in UK I've decided now is a good a time as any to take the plunge.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Nikon 16-35mm for my landscapes. Coupled with a 77mm Hoya UV filter to protect it. I've heard it can help with the IQ as well and colour balancing.

The next lens I've been thinking of is the 50mm 1.8G. I can just take a few steps back or forwards right? right?? I've been used to a Sigma 17-70 on a crop sensor and found that having that extra reach was great so I'm hoping this will only be a small sacrifice in focal length to get me through the trip for day to day stuff. Although this is probably equivalent to 35mm roughly on a crop?

Bearing in mind I have a tripod and some nd filters and carrying all this on my back with everything else I need like clothes towels and trusty laptop I don't want to go too heavy (or expensive). Is there any other lenses I should look at apart from the 50mm that won't break the bank and have comparatively good IQ to the 50mm? I don't mind 3rd party lenses as my main focus is landscape.

Is the 16-35mm and 50mm a good combination for a trip like this? Can the 16-35mm handle portrait style and be used as a day lens as well? Any example photos for 16-35mm as a day lens like portrait or street use?

Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow