Sharing travel photography original full size files with travel companions, yes or no?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Julius P.
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: Sharing travel photography original full size files with travel companions, yes or no?
In reply to kayone, 6 months ago

I've asked this of a fellow photographer who I buddied up with travelling once. He borrowed my tripod for Milky Way shots during a dark sky because he didn't bring one for his trip.

Besides overusing my tripod past agreed time limits and thereby depriving me of time to shoot my own shots under the best conditions, he never provided me with any of the photos which we essentially worked together to create as I had to also give him a basic primer on astrophotography. This would have only been 2-4 photos I wanted.

Why did I lend the tripod to start with? He had a D800 and I had a D700, and I said he shouldn't miss the opportunity to shoot the Milky Way with it.

That experience has taught me two things:
- Never lend your gear out while travelling
- You have to be selfish about your own shots. Bad luck if somebody else couldn't get the shots you did.

I travel solo 99% of the time so I don't encounter the "everyone share photos" issue, but if asked, I'd be happy to share certain snapshots with travel companions. I'd make it fairly clear that any shots I value highly (e.g. for future entry into awards or exhibitions) will not be shared.

Julius P.'s gear list:Julius P.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow