Is the Panny 20mm f/1.7 slow to focus on the GX7?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Panny 20mm f/1.7 slow to focus on the GX7?
In reply to traveler_101, 4 months ago

Just to add--

The 20/1.7 is a legendary lens for m43: when it came out it in 2009 d-preview really sat up and took notice of a lens that seemed to manifest the potential of the small camera; the reviewers called it "the first must-have lens for Micro Four Thirds." It really put m43 on the map. When I bought my E-P1 in early 2010 I ordered the 20/1.7 immediately and it has been far and away my most used lens on this system. And of course, there is much to be said for pancake lenses in a system that emphasises potability.

It's important to remember the history of the lens and to acknowledge its very high image quality (check out DOX Mark data if you have any doubts). But it is an "older" technology (already). I realise that to speak of five years ago as "older" is absurd, but that reflects just how quickly things have been developing for m43. The 20/1.7's design for focusing which relies on moving the body of the lens is a little "clunky" and it just appears/sounds/performs a bit "old fashioned" in comparison to the internally focusing MSC lenses from Olympus. As one member of this forum said, the 20/1.7 has a tendency to "hunt like a dog" (lol) and he gave a link to the following video as evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun1cA4NhUc

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow