ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MisterBuggie
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
S110 video editing
9 months ago

Hi!

Let me start by saying thank you to the people on this forum. I just bought the S110 largely based on several discussions in this forum. It's available at 230 € at the moment, which is half the price of the S120.

Now, I have a question about editing the videos. The MOV format seems to be difficult to edit, as software like VirtualDub won't accept it. And I would rather not use conversion software as conversion means reduced quality.

So far however, I've had some success. The constant background noise on videos is pretty bad, but Audacity can extract the audio track and the reduce noise function works a treat. The problem is putting the track back in the file.

I originally exported as .wav, then used Avidemux to change the audio track for the file, then saved as .avi or .mkv (as it you can't save as .mov - I didn't have any more luck with the ).

The .avi produced by Avidemux doesn't have a preview thumbnail in Windows Explorer, so that would make searching through videos pretty difficult. And VirtualDub still has problems with it (I can't seem to find the right video codec).

Now, using the .wav from Audacity, both formats have a problem with the timer when playing back on VLC (it will say for example it's at 7 seconds for several seconds before jumping straight to 12 seconds), but the playback itself is OK. So I chose AC3 in Audacity, and that seemed to solve this odd issue. However I have no clue about audio codecs, so I have no idea if that one's a good option. Seems to sound okay. And I don't mind a little compression on the audio, as long as the video isn't recompressed. So right now I'm sticking with the .mkv format and AC3 audio.

So, to get to the point : I can't be the only person trying to edit these videos. My current solution seems to work, but there seems to be some unnecessary hassle with bugs in software. What free Windows software do people use? Have other people had similar problems?

And can anyone give me a pointer on the audio codec? Is AC3 a good choice, or is there a much better one?

Thanks for any help!

MisterBuggie's gear list:MisterBuggie's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110
Canon PowerShot S110
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow