1" seems to touch a collective nerve among photography pundits.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,490Gear list
Like?
1" seems to touch a collective nerve among photography pundits.
7 months ago

Nikon 1 generates a lot of heated debate. Even dpreview weighs in now with an opinion piece, a rarity. A relatively insignificant camera like the Samsung NX mini pulls in over 400 comments on the front page.

What exactly is the fascination? I feel it too, but I find it really hard to understand its cause.

I think its something to do with a metaphysical battle for this new middle-ground sensor size. It comes down to your opinion about what kind of camera should "own" it: compact fixed zoom (RX100), deluxe superzoom  (RX10), or system camera? High-end performance model or budget point and shoot?

Of course there's no right answer, but that wont stop people from trying.

What I really really really don't get is the logical disconnect people have with regards to a lens mount: The RX10 is awesome, but the Nikon 1 with the 10-100 PD isn't worth a second look. The RX100 is awesome, but the NX-mini with 3x zoom is a toy.

Sure there are advantages of building a camera with a single, built in lens. Especially if you are willing to bake in distortion correction in software as Sony is and Nikon (with N1) has so far been reluctant to do (Nikon does vignetting and color fringe correction only, barrel is not fixed by default). But why are so many blind to the obvious advantage: that with N1, you can have both the RX10 and RX100 in the same camera, just by switching lenses?! It's not even price, as neither Sony is especially cheap. Its purely perception: add a lens mount and you get mentally grouped with micro 43 and dSLRS, omit it and you get grouped with Canon G and Coolpix...

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D40 Pentax K10D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +7 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow