Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,437Gear list
Like?
Re: Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens
In reply to Tim Devine, 4 months ago

Tim Devine wrote:

Thank you Mel for the compliments. I enjoyed your shots of Portland Head Light, I've never been up there in the winter.

I know I have to remind myself to make sure I look at the whole, and not just the parts. Back with film, I did obsess with sharpness...but now it's so easy to see any imperfections with a shot.

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim:

I just flipped through your website images. You are a wonderful photographer.

I think you're right about old lenses from the film era - I would rack the enlarger up, focus on the grain in the middle of the frame, set the timer and aperture, and hit the foot switch. The image was greatly enlarged, but negative - and once in the Dektol, we just wanted it to come up in about 60-90 seconds, to get full tone.

Who looked in the corners?

You're welcome! My girlfriend and I went to Portland for Valentine's Day, one day after I got my A7 and was trapped inside our Airbnb apartment by the snow, watching the Olympics on my iPad feeding into the apartment TV. Sunday, desperate to find subjects to shoot, I Googled "Portland" and "lighthouse" and found Portland Head Light. The wind chill was terrible - I was keeping A7 batteries warm in my shirt pocket!

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow