Developing α7 RAW images

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Rick V, 6 months ago

Rick V - it sounds like you have a pretty firm grasp on the concept.  I would absolutely recommend you shoot and develop in RAW.  It is by far the best step you can take in getting the most out of your images with post processing.  There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature... and fast!

For most of my shots, I use LR5 to import and convert.  I do the the basic tweaks it provides - maximizing the whites/blacks, color & tonal mapping.  LR also has really useful tools for removing spots and eliminating unwanted objects from the image.  I really like the HSL sliders and the ability to easily select the precise color you want to tweak.  There is nothing better in getting a more saturated blue in the sky.  From LR5 I will often use On One's Perfect Effects, mainly to use their new dynamic contrast filter.  It is a big improvement over LR's clarity adjustment.

Lately I've also been using DxO Optics Pro 9 to do any RAW conversions when I shoot with high ISO - really anything above 1000 if the image has a lot of darker areas.  DxO's noise reduction is the best, nothing else I've tried comes close.  If I am using DxO, I will also their Smart Lighting and Selective Tone adjustments - both improvements over LR5.  From there I export a full res TIFF into LR5 for any final adjustments, jpeg exporting and image cataloguing.

It sounds a lot more involved than it is, but I've gotten quite fast with it.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow