Keeping my D300, 16-85mm, Micro 85mm, and flashes and bought...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CrabbyGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Keeping my D300, 16-85mm, Micro 85mm, and flashes and bought...
5 months ago

A Fujifilm X-E2 (same APS-C sensor size as D300 and 16MP non-Bayer design), Fuji 10-24mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 60mm portrait/macro, flash, and 96GB of fast SD memory.  (On annual sale, everything just under $3500 at B&H.)  A used X-E1 will be added as a spare body.  IMO, ideal travel camera kit.  The X-E2 is mirrorless and looks like a rangefinder camera.

Selling the rest of my Nikon stuff and my Sony RX-100 will pay for most of this, if not all.  I will keep the D300 for birding w/a 150-500mm Tamron and serious tripod macro work.

I will always love my D300, but Nikon as a company is going down fast IMO.  (See Thom's latest lead article.)  I thought about buying a 1-lb D5300 (the carbon-fiber construction is state of the art) and decided that most of my DX lenses just do not look that good with a 24MP sensor.  I do not expect many more DX lenses except kittable ones.  Fuji's lenses are mostly sharper, smaller, and lighter than Nikon's.  Having retired, I now travel internationally quite a bit and weight matters.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D300 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow