Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Fast normal prime lens for Pentax?
In reply to JNR, 9 months ago

JNR wrote:

Jim King wrote:

See a good review of this lens here. I have a copy and find it almost as good as my FA 31mm Limited, although it isn't as solidly built.

As the various reviews indicate, it is quite consistent in all aspects, all the way to f/2. The build doesn't bother me, but its relatively poor resistance to veiling (loss of contrast against the light) is rather surprising for a modern prime. My much older 50mm f/1.4 (m series) has far superior SMC coatings yielding better contrast, as does the DA 16-45 - which is at its best from 28 to 35mm.

Flare resistance is a strength according to the Lenstip review. That is what I've found as well.

"Work against bright light is definitely a strong point of the tested lens."

http://www.lenstip.com/254.9-Lens_review-Pentax_smc_FA_35_mm_f_2_AL_Ghosting_and_flares.html

The Lenstip review is pretty much a rave:

"If you look closely at the accomplishments of the tested lens’s optics, you can find that it is the best 2/35 class instrument tested by us."

The FA 35 keeps me from buying an FA 31, and keeps me from using my DA 40mm Limited.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow